Monday, June 9, 2008

Miscellany

Today I had to stay at the apartment complex to teach, grade, and meet with students, so I haven't left my few blocks...a bit disappointing, but that will be my weekly schedule. So here are some random photos of objects from the past week, starting with a noodle meal I had earlier in the week. On the left is a crisp sheet of seaweed, in the middle a nice deep fried patty of vegetables, for what is largely shredded seasoned pork on wheat noodles. Oh yes, and the soft-boiled egg on the side.

In the restaurant district, this chopstick holder was for sale at a wholesale shop. Yes, that's a pig's head and nostrils.
Little pitchers of cream for some great, strong Cuban coffee, at a shop on a sidestreet in the restaurant district.
To give a sense of scale...they're tiny.
Most American chains are here, though Denny's is actually called "D's." I haven't tried the Japanese Grand Slam, but a student who ate here said the pancakes were the size of small coasters, and the ice cream scoop looked like it came from a thimble.
The grocery stores are quite expensive, but there's an amazing array of mushrooms quite cheap: this packet, which would probably cost $8 to $10 in the US, was about 120 yen ($1.20).
A giant map of the Tokyo subway system, particularly confusing because operated by a number of businesses. Sometimes you have to leave a station to find another station in the same area. We've only been traveling in the small circle in the middle, the main Yamanote Line.
A sign from the interior of the ferris wheel car: the cars are color coded for particular emotions...just so you know. I was in a "bright" car, I guess to feel bright.
Most tourist sites have gift boxes with elaborate theme designs. This is from a gift display at the Odaiba, showing the Rainbow Bridge at night. So you'd go to Odaiba, and get this package as a gift for someone else, commemorating your outing.
Looking across the subway platform, I think at the Ginza station.
A street demonstration against child labor in the Harajuku area...the only political demonstration I've seen here, and I guess strategically set in a big consumer area.
A Harajuku intersection, complete with crazy signage: the big square is a television screen.
At the rear of the demonstration was this group stopping to do a kind of street dance to American pop music.
One of my favorite signs: I don't think the terrier is a commentary on the hydrant.
From a display of bottled sakes at the local store.

No comments: