Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nippori, Part One

Sorry I've fallen behind on posting; I'll try to catch up with some today. Yesterday, I went to Nippori, a residential area on the north side of Tokyo. It's a major rail hub, and out the west side of the station is one of the largest cemetaries I've ever seen. Below are some pictures of Buddhist tombstones. The sticks, below, are prayer sticks, and five or six are placed in a slot on the tombstone at specific dates after the death: one week, 33 days, and so on up to 23 years. So around the older tombstones, especially those for families, you can see stacks of prayer sticks.

This is hydrangea season in Tokyo: it seems one of the favorite flowers, and there's a festival in June for hydrangeas in the city.
An older stone: script reads up to down, right to left...
The sleeping cat is, in some temples, a sign of contentment and prosperity. At Nikko there's a temple of the sleeping cat. Wandering through this cemetary, I happened upon a sleeping cat who woke up and looked at me. When I went for my camera, I caught this yawn:

No comments: